Saturday, January 01, 2011

Happy 2011!

New Wheels



Finally bought the bike I've been contemplating for at least the last year. I mentioned it to the honey this morning and whoosh...we were off to Academy. Now I thought initially of getting a stationary bike--benefit of never having to worry about the weather--but decided I wanted a real bike. The honey's one request/requirement was that I get a helmet--or brain bucket as he referred to it. He said he wanted to make certain I was safe as possible and that he didn't want to have to visit me in the hospital--what a sweetie.

So here I am in Academy with I admit, no idea of just what I am doing. I scan the bike racks and ask the honey to pull down a couple different ones. I then proceed to try testing them there in the store--I say try because I have not been on an actual bicycle in probably at least 30 years......let me tell you, that thing about being able to always ride a bicycle is a LIE. I was wobbly and really wanted training wheels again! The honey just knew I was going to wipe out right there or that we would possibly be buying every item on that aisle. Fortunately that was not the case.

Once arriving home it was time to actually ride the bike.....so the honey adjusts my seat and gets ready to 'run along side me' like a proud dad teaching his child to ride sans training wheels for the first time. Ok...I was feeling a bit like a fool. C'mon, I'm 44 flipping years old....I can ride a bike! I did wobble a bit but soon I got the balance thing under control and off I went. Managed to do two laps around the complex. I am amshamed to say those two laps wiped me out but I figure it's good for a start and tomorrow I may try for three!

So while I don't really do 'resolution', this will help with that ever present goal to take better care of myself.....eat right, get some exercise, yadda, yadda, yadda. And it's my first step in 'savoring' 2011......my word for 2011 is 'savor'---and I will write more on that soon.

No comments: