Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Sad Day for Branson....


I fell asleep last night with the tv on---not that unusual. Somewhere in the early morning hours I recall hearing something about storms and Branson....theatres hit. Maybe I was dreaming.

When I was finally awake I found I had not been dreaming. I did hear Branson had been hit overnight by a tornado....it went right down the strip. Several buildings sustained damage-power was out-but no deaths in Branson.

Once I got to the office I had to search the net....see what pictures might be posted. The lower end of the strip was hit--Walmart, Taco Bell, Shoneys, JRs Motor Lodge. I've shopped in that Walmart, picked up food at that Taco Bell, had a meal with mom at Shoneys-never stayed at JRs but know it well, can visualize it in my mind. The sign always reminded me of the old Roy Rogers Restaurants.

The news reports say the tornado hop-scotched down the strip...then down to Branson Landing whhere windows were blown out of the Hilton. Found a picture this afternoon of Branson Landing and there was quite a bit of damage there. The Candlestick Inn where mom, Mike and I celebrated my 37th birthday took a hit---most the sign is gone and the roof has been partially peeled back.

It is sad to see the damage to my beloved Branson. It's a blessing it happened now and in the middle of the night. A few more weeks and in the middle of the day there would find throngs of people enjoying the peacefulness of the town.

No comments: