Thursday, February 21, 2008

Sofa Shopping...

As I turned into my parking spot this afternoon I noticed a Lacks truck at the other end of the drive. Someone else nearby has gotten a Lacks delivery. I say this because it seems over the last two to three weeks there has been a Lacks truck delivering something at least one or two days each week to various people. Seeing the truck made me decide at that moment that it is time for me to shop for a new sofa, couch, divan, whatever word you choose.

My current sofa is probably at least fifteen years old, possibly older. I remember going to purchase it at Friendly Furniture over on Broadway (yes, in the hood). My parents had done business with Friendly as my mother called him--the owner--his name was actually Yale for many, many years. He still offered credit and he held the note. No big financing companies. Anyway, after a few years of a second-hand sofa (bought off Robin's parents for $75) we decided it was time for a new sofa. And since I finally had a full time job I could handle the payments. So we went to see Friendly and got a new sofa--I don't even recall the monthly payment amount but I do recall it was after I had finished paying off the bed I bought. I think mom may have even made a payment or two but am not certain. Now walking into Friendly's was not walking into say a Fingers or Star where everything was modern and interior decorator 'friendly'--unless you were doing ghetto chic. In fact most people I know probably wouldn't have given his merchandise a second look but there we were. Don't get me wrong, it's fine quality just not what one (me especially) might consider modern. So anyway I have this blue sofa with a subtle floral print. It sounds worse than it is, really. But it does not in any way match the rest of my furniture. Hell, I don't think it matched it even back then.

So fast forward to now. I have an oversized red microsuede chair I bought early 2003 (got a good deal at Foleys) and a forest green recliner that was purchased for mom as a mother's day I think in 2000. And this blue thing. Now Willy loves it because it has a high back and he loves sleeping up there. I however hate the fact that the cushions shift so much that sitting on it for an extended period of time creates gaps between the cushions. And to me it's just not as comfortable as I might like. I does still seem to be in good shape but I just really am feeling it's worn--not to mention I don't like that it doesn't fit with my other furniture.

Now my point...I think I will finally break down and do some sofa shopping. Spring break (three weeks away) seems to be a perfect time to do it. Maybe, just maybe I'll find something affordable that I like (and that Willy will like too).

1 comment:

leann said...

good thing you did't go to bookclub as of yesterday, friday, the books still hadn't come in.