Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Another fun day in paradise...

if only I were in paradise instead of financial aid hell. It's that time of year when families begin to panic because they've done nothing and I am somehow supposed to make it all better. It's the time of year when I am expected to work miracles, turn a blind eye to lying, cheating and outright fraud and overlook the fact that students flunk out. It's the time of year when for some reason people expect me to work twenty four hours a day and feel they are entitled to scream at me for their lack of planning, laziness or outright stupidity. Yep, it's fall registration. And it's all compounded by being short-staffed and dealing with 'colleagues' who care only about themselves. Yep, just another fun day in paradise....

Aug 7 word...Go......unlike most children whose first word is momma or dada...my first word was GO. (My second word was money---see a pattern here?) And GO is something I certainly like to do. I can thank my mother for my wanderlust. I wish I could say more about her childhood, but I can't. What I can say is that she lived in many different states growing up not because her father was military but because times were tough so he traveled to where he could get work. That's really about all I know. So mom was often on the go and once it was just the two of us, even though we didn't have a lot we would often 'go' just to get out. In her last days she would often force herself to 'go' because she thought getting out might help her feel better. We didn't have an immaculate home (I still don't) because mom always said it would be there long after she was gone and I still subscribe to this theory to this day. Why stay home just to clean house when there is world waiting out there? So yes, I love to GO.....and go every chance I get. And this weeking I will GO to Austin!

No comments: