Sunday, August 05, 2007

I heart Elvis...

So I've not kept my promise from yesterday---sue me. At the moment the topic on my mind is Elvis. August is Elvis month on TV Land and I got hooked last night watching Elvis and Me which is based on Priscilla's life with him. At times I think what a jerk he really was and then I'm sucked right back into the glamour.

I was just ten when he died--just six days before my daddy. Of course I knew Elvis but didn't think much of him--or anyone else back then. It wasn't till later I began to 'fall in love' with various artists/celebrities. Shaun Cassidy was probably the first--the first bubble gum crush that didn't last long. And then I found the Oaks (no surprise there). I remember being in love with the bass singer, Richard Sterban. I'm not sure how much later it was that I found out HE had actually sang with Elvis! And who would have thought I'd actually ever get to meet him (Richard, not Elvis) and spend time visiting with him--that's another story and oh what a story (heehee).

So back to Elvis....it's been thirty years this year since he died and no doubt he's bigger (and richer) in death than he ever was in life. I've been to Graceland and found myself 'sucked in'. It's a different feeling-can't explain it. I feel the excitement and the sadness. I guess one of the things it reminds me of most are the simpler times. Oh to be that kid again. To have my daddy and Elvis alive again. To have that innocence back....

No comments: