Monday, January 04, 2010

Off to a good start!

I started my day with an appointment with the Hematologist. I have to admit I was feeling a bit aprehensive especially when I noticed the thickness of my file...afterall, today was only my third visit! But it's because he has all my medical records from Hermann meaning all the MRI results and Dr. Brod's notes, reports, etc.

I swear I think that is the quickest I have ever been in and out of a doctor appointment. First off, gotta love a nurse who doesn't weigh you right after the holidays and just records your last weight. I think I was in and out in a total of fifteen minutes--maybe less. And that includes copay, vitals, blood draw and doctor's exam and discussion. The bad news is that I've not been taking my iron as I should--which added to my apprehension because I knew I had not been doing what I should. The good news is he stated my issues were totally iron deficiency and that my numbers are starting to to head in the direction where they should be! He told me he was not going to lecture me but rather gently remind me that just because I'm feeling good is not cause to skip the iron-that I need to take at least one tablet a day. That I have to take into consideration my other issue and that letting it go too much can cause things to spiral. Noted. I have faithfully taken my iron everyday for the last week and will continue to do so. It should be that difficult...I manage the injections every other night so swallowing a pill once a day should be a breeze.

After the doctor I decided to do some shoe shopping--no luck so far. I did however find Bath and Body Works holiday soap collection 75% off which equated into 1.12 each. I especially like the Festive Vanilla Fig and apparently everyone else does too as there were only a few in that scent left. They came home with me! I should have plenty of hand soap for a while...and for a great price!

I decided to splurge and treat myself to lunch (as a major goal is to watch my spending and not eat out so often) at Pappsitos. Surprisingly I had no problem getting a table despite the fact it was about 12:30p. My favorite lunch item there is the enchilada and taco combo for a mere 6.95--YUM.

After lunch I made a few more stops and while I saw many nice things, the only purchase I made was an Elvis cd. I could not pass it up as it has several of my favorites from the 50s. What a great way to celebrate his 75th birthday this Friday.

On the way into town I stopped by my favorite mechanic and had him check the antifreeze since predictions are temps in between 20 and 40 over the next few days. Better safe than sorry! It didn't cost a dime and only took a few minutes. AFter that I stopped at the office to do some work---that I had intended to do before going to the doctor but didn't get out of bed. I managed about an hour and a half before I thought I would freeze--no heat in the office. I did manage to made some progress--yeah me! I have intentions of getting up in the morning and going in for a bit before enjoying my last afternoon of freedom.

I squeezed in a pedicure before tackling the many things needing attention at home. Number one was getting the Christmas tree down and packed away for another year--which I did. I've also washed both bath and kitchen towels.

So yes, there is much more to be done but I am please with the progress I have managed to make today and this evening. I am feeling encouraged by my positive doctor visit and not dreading my return to work on Wednesday as much as I thought I might. Of course, my outlook might be different this time tomorrow!

Off to do just a few more things then it's off to bed for me so I can get up in the morning.

No comments: